Chancellor’s Corner

Dear Skyhawk Nation:

Thank you for connecting with your university through Campus Scene. This is my first Campus Scene alumni magazine edition as your chancellor, and I’m pleased to return to West Tennessee to lead UT Martin. I’m honored by the faith placed in me by UT System President Randy Boyd and the UT Board of Trustees and pledge to work hard and build on the success that has the university poised for an even greater future. Alumni involvement is critical to any university, and I’m excited to see that it means something to be a Skyhawk – people are proud to be associated with UT Martin. 

I’m no stranger to West Tennessee as a Memphis native and Central High School alum. My wife, Rafielle, is a 1993 UT Martin nursing graduate. I spent many great years in Chattanooga working for UT Chattanooga where I earned three degrees. I know firsthand that regional campuses are important to the UT System and state, and UT Martin has a special role as an education and economic-development partner in West Tennessee and the surrounding region. I’m not afraid to fail, but I am afraid not to try, so I’ve identified six focal points to guide my initial work and build on the momentum we enjoy:

Listening comes before leadership, and I’m anxious to hear your ideas for making UT Martin an even greater university.

I’ll focus much of my attention on enrollment and find ways to make UT Martin a university of choice for students of all ages.

UT Martin is clearly a great place to work, and we can do more to attract the best and brightest talent to the university.

Access and inclusion are more than buzzwords, and making everyone feel welcome at UT Martin is a priority.

I’ll soon visit the five regional centers in Jackson, Parsons, Ripley, Selmer and Somerville, which are “opportunity hubs” to enroll at UT Martin.   

Capital projects are the lifeblood of sustaining growth and service, and improving the process for reviewing capital projects is a priority. 

I was told early that UT Martin is a family, and I can absolutely affirm that is true. I look forward to meeting you and hearing how UT Martin has made a difference in your life.

All the best,

Dr. Yancy Freeman

Previous Story

Driscolls Travel While Earning Degrees

Latest from Feature

Dr. Danny Pirtle

Dr. Danny Pirtle Jr. is a UT Martin associate professor of criminal justice, but it was…

Furry Friends

UT Martin beach volleyball players (l-r) Kambree Lucas, Olivia O’Keefe and Mary Leslie Cranford have their…

Ready for the Spotlight

Grant Larcom (’21) has experienced 3,500 people watching and listening while he plays a piano solo.…